Paragould Arkansas History
For years, the natural state has been visited by rough and colourful characters who continue their wild paths through the state until they meet. Many people think of Arkansas as the Wild West, where outlaws tried to overthrow all kinds of police and laws. As a state, Arkansas still has some rough types, but hardly any of the above.
The first settlers in the area were Benjamin Crowley of Kentucky, who arrived in 1821 and founded a house about 12 miles west of Paragould. Armed with a land grant from the 1812 war, Old Ben chose a vacant Indian property in Delaware that had been developed around a large spring on a ridge, and armed with it, he chose the location for his home.
On November 5, 1833, Greene County was formed from a part of Lawrence County and included parts of what is now Clay and Craighead counties. This was created by taking over land from Lawrence County, which was also home to the city of Paragould and several other towns and villages.
When Arkansas became a state in 1836, the county seat was in a settlement called Paris (not to be confused with today's Paris, Arkansas). In the late 19th and early 20th century, numerous extensions and extensions were made to the town of Paragould. The name was changed to Arkansas Methodist Medical Center in 2005 and the hospital reopened in 2006.
Paragould is also home to the Arkansas Heritage Trail System, one of the oldest hiking trails in the state of Arkansas, and is now part of that trail. It is also the site of an old train station and post office, both now bordered by the Missouri River.
An animated map illustrating the boundary changes in Arkansas County can be found under "Rotating Formation." There is a page on Greene County, Arkansas, which contains historical and biographical information. This includes two separate sections of the CD, including the "Greene County Published History" section, a collection of over 120 family biographies that includes the names, addresses and phone numbers of residents of Paragould, Greene and Greene counties.
The "Greene County Published History" section of the CD contains information on the history of Greene County, Arkansas, as well as information on the history of the county.
If you are interested in Arkansas history, genealogy or as a resident of Greene County, Arkansas and are interested in taking on a project in the county, please join. Unless otherwise stated, all subsequent events are listed on the Arkansas County Genealogical Society website and / or other sources. On April 18, 2013, I did not join a discussion about the use of the Arkansas County Marriages Collection.
Many of the individuals studied were recorded on the Arkansas County Genealogical Society website and other sources, as well as in the Arkansas State Archives and Archives Arkansas.
Crowley crossed the Black and Cache Rivers to explore the crest area that now bears his name, as well as other areas of the Arkansas River Valley.
In June of the same year, the Citizen was bought by John F. Rainey, who continued to publish it until it was discontinued in October 1939. Within a few months of 1939, Rainney also published and printed The Chronicle of Caldwell, Missouri. A Kentucky man offered Reynolds $5,000 for the bones, but Reynolds decided to give them away instead, and when the two came to Fayetteville, Washington County, they were told they had found the remains of a human skull and other bones. As the company continues to grow at a rapid pace, a new plant is being built in Fort Smith, Arkansas, that focuses on thermoforming rigid plastic containers.
The first major national plant to open in Paragould was the Emerson Electric Company in St. Louis. In 1882, the railroad tracks from Fort Smith, Arkansas, to Gould, Kansas, crossed with those from Paradise, Missouri, and the Missouri-Arkansas border. In 1882, the railroad lines of Fayetteville, Washington County, Mississippi, west of Kansas City, cross with the Arkansas-Missouri border, north of Paracel, Colorado.
The Texas - St. Louis Railroad, later called Cotton Belt, was a small gauge railway operated by J.W. Paramore. In 1870, Gould and Paramore built a competing railroad line that ran through Greene County, and in 1872 it began to run south from Helena to Gould. The Paramores line would connect Arkansas and Texas, but its directors voted to expand their Texas lines to join the "Mexican" railroads rather than abandon St. Louis, according to a Missouri State Railroad Commission report.
The St. Louis and Iron Mountain Railroad, later known as Missouri Pacific, was run by a famous railroad magnate who had already controlled the Arkansas - Texas - Texarkana Railroad and the Texas Railroad in Texas, J.W. Paramore. Jay Gould, who gained control of the railroad in 1880, learned of Paramores Texas and St. and in 1877 made plans for a Texas railway line that would connect the Eisenberg to Texarksana, according to the State Railroad Commission report.